|Drug Class||Aakeful promoting agents; cognitive enhancers|
|Duration||1-3 times a week|
|Working||Works by helping you stay awake for longer hours than usual|
|Kicks In||About 30 minutes to 2 hours|
|Lasts Long||Up to 12 hours after the intake|
Modafinil 100 mg
Modafinil 100 mg is used for the treatment of excessive sleepiness. This prescription medicine is used to treat the symptoms of narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work sleep disorder. Obstructive sleep apnea is when a person has periods where they stop breathing when asleep. Shift work sleep disorder is when a person needs help staying awake during work hours if they have a work schedule that prevents them from having a relatively normal sleep routine. Modafinil can be used by adults to avoid excessive sleepiness and the tendency to fall asleep during inappropriate situations. Other than that, Modafinil can also be used for the treatment of a traumatic brain injury or symptoms of depression and ADHD. Modafinil can be used as an anti-fatigue or anti-psychotic agent.
How does Modafinil 100 mg work?
It is believed that Modafinil works by increasing the synaptic availability of neurotransmitters. Catecholamines, monoamines, serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline, and adenosine are some of these neurotransmitters. Modafinil affects parts of the brain such as the hypothalamus, hippocampus, and amygdala, increasing wakefulness in the consumer. Modafinil is also known as a “wakefulness-promoting agent”.
Recommended dosage of Modafinil 100 mg
For patients dealing with narcolepsy, Modafinil 100 mg must be taken once a day, usually in the morning. Your physician may decide to divide your daily dose of Modafinil into two doses: once in the morning and once in the afternoon. The effects of Modafinil must be monitored and assessed periodically. The dose may be divided into two doses in case of insufficient response to taking one dose daily. The long-term use of Modafinil has not been evaluated. Patients with severe hepatic impairment must have their dosage reduced by half. Dosage may also differ if the patient is over 65 years of age. Modafinil should not be used by children less than eighteen years of age.
For those who are consuming Modafinil to treat shift work sleep disorder, the medication must be consumed before the shift begins. Preferably consume the medicine an hour before work. It can be taken by mouth (swallowed whole) with or without food or as instructed by your physician.
Side effects of Modafinil 100 mg
Consuming Modafinil 100 mg may result in side effects that will eventually go away as the body acclimates to the medication. Some side effects of consuming Modafinil are:
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Difficulty sleeping
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Sweating and flushing
- Excessive thirst
- Slight tremors
- Burning, tingling, or numbness of the skin
If any of these symptoms continue to persist for long periods, notify your physician. There are also rare cases wherein the patient may experience more severe side effects. These are unusual, but call your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Rash and blisters
- Peeling skin
- Mouth sores
- Hives or itching
- Swollen face, throat, tongue, lips, feet, hands, ankles, or lower legs.
- Difficulty while breathing or swallowing
- An irregular or fast heartbeat.
- Chest pain
- Abnormal frenzy
- Hallucinations or extreme confusion
- Depression and thoughts of self-harm
A study conducted on testing the side effects of Modafinil found that Modafinil has little or fewer side effects when compared to some other psychostimulants.
Notify your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history, especially if it consists of:
- Heart problems such as valve problems, chest pains, heart attack, etc or heart problems specifically after taking stimulant drugs
- High blood pressure
- Liver problems
- Mental disorders such as depression or mania
- Personal or family history of any substance use disorder
While Modafinil will help keep you awake, sleep disorders, in general, reduce a person’s ability to react quickly. It is advisable to avoid doing activities that require alertness such as driving, even when under the influence of modafinil.
Prior to surgery, inform your doctor about all the products that you consume, including prescription or non-prescription drugs. Also, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant in the future. Modafinil can cause complications during pregnancy or cause harm to an unborn baby and should not be consumed during this time. People with unstable angina should also not be given modafinil. It is also unclear how the medication will affect those with a history of seizures. Caution is advised when consuming modafinil if the person has a history of epilepsy or other seizure disorders.
The use of modafinil may be prohibited in people with the following conditions:
- Allergy to modafinil or armodafinil
- Are also consuming antidepressant medications including SSRIs, TCAs.
- Are consuming anti-seizure medications like phenytoin and carbamazepine
- Are using antifungal medications like itraconazole and ketoconazole
- History of illicit drug misuse or dependence
- Using modafinil with birth control pills, patches or rings may be inadvisable. The medication may reduce the effectiveness of the birth control methods and may result in pregnancy. Consult your doctor about any additional birth control pills that can be used reliably while also using modafinil. Spotting or breakthrough bleeding might be symptoms that the birth control is not working.
- Modafinil can speed up the process of removing other medications from within the consumer’s body. This would affect the functioning of those medications. Some examples are axitinib, bosutinib, products used to treat chronic hepatitis C, and others.
- Consuming certain products along with Modafinil may result in an increased heart rate (such as diet aids). Consult your doctor regarding your medical history.
- Caffeine can also increase the side effects of this medicine. It is better to avoid drinking excessive coffee or caffeine products (such as chocolate, cola, tea) when taking Modafinil.
- Do not take medications containing armodafinil as it is very similar to modafinil.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can Modafinil 100mg cure sleep disorders?
Modafinil cannot cure sleep disorders. Medication cannot replace the necessity of getting enough sleep in a day. This medication must not be used to treat tiredness or by those who do not have any sleeping disorders and are just trying to hold off sleep.
Can I consume Modafinil with alcohol or marijuana (cannabis)?
Both alcohol and marijuana can make a person dizzier. It is therefore recommended that a person avoids alcoholic beverages when consuming Modafinil. As the medicine is used to treat sleeping disorders, consuming alcohol may decrease the effectiveness of the drug. Consult your physician if you are consuming medical marijuana.
Can you overdose on Modafinil?
It is possible to overdose on Modafinil. Consuming more than the recommended dosage is not advisable.
How long does the effect of Modafinil last?
The effects of modafinil can last from twelve to sixteen hours. Peak concentration is achieved around 45 minutes to 2 hours after intake.