|Drug Class||Wakeful promoting agents; cognitive enhancers|
|Working||Works by helping you stay awake for longer hours than usual|
|Kicks In||About 30 minutes to 2 hours|
|Lasts Long||Up to 12 hours after the intake|
|Dosage||1-3 times a week|
Modafinil 200 mg Tablet
Modafinil 200 mg is an oral drug prescribed for the treatment of sleepiness caused due to sleep-related disorders such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, etc. It promotes wakefulness in patients and helps them stay focused and alert for a longer duration of time. It works by binding dopamine transport receptors in the brain, thereby leading to an increase in extracellular dopamine. Thus, it promotes wakefulness to the mind and keeps one awake and alert for a long time. A single tablet is recommended to be taken once in 24 hours. This medicine can be taken with or without food, or as prescribed by the doctor. The effects of this medicine can last anywhere around 10-12 hours. Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully to achieve the desired results.
How does Modafinil 200 mg work?
Modafinil 200 mg belongs to a family of drugs known as wakefulness-promoting agents. It is a nootropic drug that works by binding dopamine transport receptors in the brain. It blocks these receptors and prevents the reabsorption of dopamine. It does so by activating glutamatergic circuits while inhibiting GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid). Furthermore, it increases the amount of histamine, orexin, and norepinephrine in the brain. This helps to increase energy levels, concentration, and cognitive enhancement. A person, thus, feels less fatigued and stays more focused at work throughout the day.
Uses of Modafinil 200 mg
Modafinil 200 mg is prescribed for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Narcolepsy – a chronic sleep disorder that causes excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, and hallucinations.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – a condition in which breathing stops involuntarily due to blockage in part or all of the airway while a person sleeps.
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder – a circadian rhythm sleep disorder that causes insomnia and excessive sleepiness in people who work nontraditional hours like graveyard shift, rotational shifts, etc.
This medicine is used “off-label” for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) – a disorder that makes it difficult for a person to pay attention and control impulsive behaviors.
- Hypersomnia – a condition that causes excessive sleepiness and a person has trouble staying awake during the day.
- Brain fog – an inability to have a sharp memory or lack a sharp focus.
The recommended dose of Modafinil 200 mg is one tablet per day. Do not take more than one tablet in 24 hours unless advised. Do not take it close to your bedtime if you’re not planning to stay awake for the whole night (or whenever you go to bed). This medicine can be taken with or without food. Taken not more than 400 mg in 24 hours, a 200 mg dose is usually found to be more effective than the 400 mg dose.
- If you are taking this medicine for the treatment of narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea, take it in the morning.
- If you are taking it for shift work sleep disorder, take it one hour prior to your work shift. If your work shift keeps changing, talk to your doctor about how to adjust the dose.
The effects of this medicine typically last anywhere around 10-12 hours. However, this may vary from person to person depending on age, metabolism, medications, etc. This medicine should be taken at the same time every day. It should not be used to hold off sleep if you don’t suffer from any sleep disorder.
What happens if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it’s time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose, and take your regular dose. Do not take double doses to make up for the missed dose. Also, avoid taking the medication close to your bedtime if you don’t plan on staying awake for the whole night.
What happens if I take an overdose?
An overdose of the drug can lead to adverse side-effects which can fatal for your health. If an overdose is suspected, seek medical help immediately.
Before You Take This Medicine
Modafinil 200 mg may not be suitable for you if you suffer from any medical condition. Before you take this medicine, let your doctor know:
- If you are allergic to Modafinil, Armodafinil, or any other medications.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- If you have a history of stroke, heart attack, or congestive heart failure.
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure.
- If you suffer from arrhythmia or irregular heartbeats.
- If you suffer from mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.
- If you have a kidney or liver disease.
- If you have a history of substance abuse.
- If you suffer from conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, angina, high blood cholesterol, etc.
- If you are under 18 or over 65 years of age.
If you suffer from any medical conditions not listed here, let your doctor know about them. Discuss your medical history in detail with the doctor.
Side-effects of Modafinil 200 mg
Certain side-effects can occur while taking Modafinil 200 mg. Some of the commonly reported side-effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Loss of appetite
In some cases, serious side-effects may occur. Even though they may be rare, some people can experience very bad side-effects from the medication.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Fever and chills
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Black or Tarry stools
- Irregular heartbeats
- Skin reaction such as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
- Suicidal thoughts
This is not a complete list of side-effects that may occur while taking Modafinil. If you experience any serious side-effect of the drug, report to the doctor. The dose of this medication should be reduced to half in patients with a severe hepatic impairment since it can cause adverse side-effects.
If you take any prescription or non-prescription medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements, let your doctor know about them. Certain medications can interact with Modafinil 200 mg and affect the way it works.
- Hormonal contraceptives
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin
- Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine
- Antifungals such as ketoconazole and itraconazole
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as citalopram, fluoxetine, and paroxetine
This isn’t a complete list of potential drug interactions. Discuss possible drug interactions with your doctor before starting this medicine.
Interaction with alcohol
Due to the increased risk of dizziness, drowsiness, and impaired judgment, consumption of alcohol along with Modafinil 200 mg should strictly be avoided.
Interaction with caffeine
Due to the increased risk of nervousness, shakiness, and fast heartbeats, consumption of caffeine should be avoided.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice along with this medicine can decrease its effects. Therefore, it should be avoided at all costs.
Modafinil 200 mg tablets should be stored safely at room temperature in their original packaging.
- These pills should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- If the pack has expired, do not consume the pills.
- Keep these pills in a cool and dry place.
- Do not dispose of this medication by flushing it down the toilet or throwing it away in the bin. Dispose of it with the help of a medicine take-back program or talk to your pharmacist regarding the same.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Modafinil 200 mg used for?
Ans. Modafinil 200 mg is used for the treatment of excessive sleepiness caused due to sleep-related disorders such as narcolepsy, sleep apnea, etc. It promotes wakefulness in patients and helps them stay focused and alert for a longer duration of time.
How long does Modafinil 200 last?
Ans. Modafinil 200 mg lasts for a period of 10-12 hours. That being said, the effects of this medication may vary depending on a person’s age, metabolism, medications, existing condition, etc.
Is 200 mg of Modafinil too much?
Ans. The recommended dose of Modafinil is one tablet per day. Depending on your condition, your doctor may prescribe you a dose of 100 mg, 200 mg, or 400 mg to be taken in one day. Taken not more than 400 mg in 24 hours, a 200 mg dose is usually found to be more effective than the 400 mg dose.
Can Modafinil make you sleepy?
Ans. This drug may cause some people to feel dizzy, drowsy, or have trouble thinking or controlling movements. Thus, it may not be suitable to take this drug in situations where a person’s work requires high levels of concentration such as operating machinery or while driving.