|Drug Class||PDE₅ inhibitor|
|Lasts Long||Up to 4 hours|
|Working||Works by relaxing muscles, as a result of
which blood flow increases
|Kicks In||About an hour|
Levitra 20 mg Tablet
Levitra 20 mg is an oral prescription drug used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (also known as impotence) in men. It contains Vardenafil that enhances the effects of nitric oxide by relaxing the smooth muscles present in the walls of the blood vessels and increases the blood flow to the penis. It works only if a person is sexually stimulated. This medicine can be taken with or without food. For best results, this pill should be taken 30 minutes to 1 hour before anticipated sexual activity. No more than one tablet should be taken in 24 hours. The effects of this pill last for a maximum of 5 hours. This pill should not be taken if a person doesn’t suffer from erectile dysfunction. Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully to achieve the desired results.
How does Levitra 20 mg work?
Levitra 20 mg belongs to a class of drugs known as PDE 5 (Phosphodiesterase Type 5) inhibitors. It contains the active ingredient Vardenafil that blocks the action of the enzyme PDE 5 and stops it from constricting the arteries. It relaxes the arteries of the penis and enhances blood flow when a man is sexually aroused.
Upon sexual stimulation, nitric oxide is released into the penis that triggers a chain of reactions. This results in the production of cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate). It regulates the contraction and dilation of blood vessels that carry blood to and from the penis. Vardenafil present in Levitra stops PDE 5 from destroying cGMP and allows the blood to flow properly. This creates pressure in the penis and the two chambers in the penis, known as corpora cavernosa fill with blood. This leads to an erection.
Uses of Levitra 20 mg
This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) – a condition that makes it difficult for a man to achieve or maintain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse.
The recommended dose of Levitra 20 mg is one tablet per day. No more than one tablet should be taken in 24 hours. This pill can be taken with or without food. For best results, this pill should be taken 30 minutes to 1 hour before any sexual activity.
If you’re taking orodispersible tablets, place the tablet on your tongue and leave it for some time so that it gets dissolved properly. Swallow the contents after they dissolve. The effects of this medicine are known to last for a maximum of 5 hours. However, this may vary from person to person depending on age, metabolism, medications, etc.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Levitra 20 mg tablet is taken as and when needed. Therefore, it is less likely that you’ll miss a dose. Make sure that you’re sexually stimulated for this pill to work properly.
What happens if I take an overdose?
An overdose of the drug can lead to serious side-effects. In case of an overdose, report to the doctor immediately.
Before You Take This Medicine
Levitra 20 mg may not be suitable for you if you suffer from any medical condition. Before you take this medicine, let your doctor know:
- If you are allergic to Vardenafil or any other medications.
- If you suffer from a kidney or liver disease.
- If you suffer from ischemic heart disease (also known as coronary heart disease).
- If you have a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia.
- If you have a physical deformity of the penis or Peyronie’s.
- If you have a history of stroke, heart attack, or congestive heart failure.
- If you suffer from conditions such as high blood cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have a rare inherited eye condition such as retinitis pigmentosa.
- If you suffer from arrhythmia or irregular heartbeats.
- If you suffer from blood cell problems such as sickle cell anemia, leukemia, multiple myeloma, etc.
- If you suffer from epilepsy or seizures.
If you suffer from any medical conditions not listed here, let your doctor know about them. Discuss your medical history in detail with the doctor.
Side-effects of Levitra 20 mg
Certain side-effects can occur while taking Levitra 20 mg. Most of these side-effects are temporary and usually go away after some time. Some of the commonly reported side-effects include:
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Upset stomach
Some potentially serious side-effects include:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Swelling in the ankles, hands, or feet
- Decrease/loss of hearing
- Visual disturbances
- Priapism (a painful and prolonged erection of more than 4 hours)
The above list shouldn’t be seen as a complete guide of side-effects. If you experience any other side-effect of the medication, report it to the doctor.
If you take any prescription or non-prescription medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements, let your doctor know about them. Certain medications can interact with Levitra 20 mg and affect the way it works.
- Antibiotics such as clarithromycin
- Antifungals such as ketoconazole
- HIV drugs such as ritonavir
- Seizure drugs such as carbamazepine
- Alpha-blockers such as doxazosin
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol
- Drugs for prostate problems, blood pressure, or heart rhythm disorders
- Other medicines for ED
This isn’t a complete list of potential drug interactions. Discuss possible drug interactions with your doctor before starting this medicine.
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol increases the risk of adverse side-effects and reduces the chances of getting an erection. Drinking alcohol alongside Levitra 20 mg is not advised.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
Grapefruit juice contains furanocoumarins that increase the likelihood of adverse side-effects. Therefore, it should not be consumed while taking Levitra 20 mg.
Levitra 20 mg tablets should be stored safely at room temperature in their original packaging.
- These pills should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- If the pack has expired, do not consume the pills.
- Keep these pills in a cool and dry place.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Levitra 20 mg used for?
Levitra 20 mg is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, a condition that makes men unable to achieve or sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. It contains Vardenafil that increases the blood flow to the penis and helps men achieve an erection.
What does Levitra 20 mg look like?
Levitra 20 mg is formulated as orange, round, film-coated tablets. The generic versions of the drug may come in different shapes, colors, and sizes.
When to take Levitra 20 mg?
This medicine is intended to be taken 30 minutes to 1 hour before anticipated sexual activity.
Is Levitra as good as Viagra?
Levitra typically lasts for the same time as Viagra i.e. 4-5 hours. That being said, it has an upside over Viagra when taken with meals. Levitra tends to be less affected by food and is more effective in diabetic patients when compared to other ED drugs.
Can I take Levitra every day?
Levitra isn’t meant for continuous daily use. It shouldn’t be taken daily and no more than one tablet should be taken in 24 hours. If you indulge in sexual activities frequently, a dose of Cialis 5 mg may suit your needs better.