|Working||Works by blocking pain sensations between
the brain and nerves
|Kicks In||Within a half hour|
|Lasts Long||Up to 6 hours|
|Treatment Period||up to 3 weeks|
What is Soma 350 mg?
Soma 350mg, also known by its generic name carisoprodol, is used for the treatment of musculoskeletal pain. It is converted into meprobamate in the body. It is meant to be used when accompanied by physical therapy, rest, and other methods in which muscles are made to relax after strains, sprains, or muscle injuries. It is made in the form of a tablet which is generally white and round. It may have a mild odor and a bitter taste. Soma 350 mg is slightly soluble in water and freely soluble in alcohol. This medicine is only for short-term use as it is not meant to treat chronic or long-lasting pain. It should be used for two to three weeks. Generally, acute and painful musculoskeletal pain does not last for a long duration.
How does Soma 350 mg work?
Soma 350 mg contains carisoprodol which is a Schedule IV controlled substance. It works by affecting the communication in the central nervous system. Muscle relaxation brought about by Soma 350mg is attributed to the fact that it changes interneuronal activity in the spinal cord. It is a sedative that affects the central nervous system. It interrupts the communication between nerves and alters the sensations of pain, thus producing muscle relaxation and relief from pain.
Soma 350 mg comes in the form of a tablet that should be consumed four times a day. The first three times should be during the day and once before going to bed. The medicine must be taken by the mouth with or without food or as directed by the physician. Do not consume more than the amount prescribed or use it for longer than needed. The increasing dosage will not change the patient’s condition. Stopping the consumption of this medicine all of a sudden might result in withdrawal symptoms. The doctor is likely to reduce your dosage gradually. Suddenly stopping the treatment may lead to the patient experiencing symptoms of withdrawal. These could be a stomach ache, sleeping problems, headache or nausea, and vomiting. To help prevent the onset of withdrawal symptoms, your doctor may suggest a gradual reduction of the dosage. Notify your doctor immediately if you notice symptoms of withdrawal.
Certain side effects can be experienced by a patient consuming Soma 350 mg. Most of these are mild and should not persist for a long time. Some common side effects of this drug are:
- Feelings of dizziness or drowsiness
- Feelings of agitation
- Mild anxiety or nervousness
- Depressive episodes
- Blurred vision
- Nausea or vomiting
- Upset stomach or digestive issues
It must be noted that Soma 350 mg may have properties that are sedative and can affect the mental and physical capabilities of the consumer. It is better to avoid performing strenuous and potentially hazardous tasks when taking this medication. Avoid working with machinery or driving during this time to ensure safety. Excessive and prolonged use of this medication has also resulted in dependence upon, withdrawal, and abuse of the medicine. It is therefore not recommended for long-term use.
The use of soma 350 mg is contraindicated/prohibited in patients with a history of:
- Serious GI complications such as bleeding, perforations, or obstruction due to the usage of aspirin
- Acute intermittent porphyria
- Asthma induced by aspirin. This a symptom complex that can occur in consumers who have asthma, rhinosinusitis, and nasal polyps. They develop a severe and possibly fatal bronchospasm soon after taking aspirin.
- Hypersensitivity reaction to a carbamate such as meprobamate
The patient must always take certain precautions before consuming a medicine. They must also ensure that the doctor is aware of the medical history and any other medication the patient might be consuming. Here is a list of necessary precautions that one must take when consuming Soma 350 mg:
- Notify your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it. Also notify them if you are allergic to meprobamate, tybamate, or mebutamate. Keep an updated list of allergies with you at all times. This product may contain inactive ingredients that may cause allergic reactions.
- This medication can result in dizziness or drowsiness. This effect can be intensified through the use of alcohol or marijuana. Make sure to avoid driving or using heavy machinery during treatment.
- Before surgery, make sure your doctor or dentist knows about all the prescription, non-prescription, and herbal drugs that you are consuming if any.
- Older people may be more sensitive to this drug, comparatively. They can be affected more intensely by their side effects such as drowsiness and confusion. Make sure that any older person taking this drug is not at the risk of falling.
- This medication should be avoided during pregnancy, or taken only when needed. Consult your doctor about the associated risks.
- Also, consult your doctor before breast-feeding as this drug may pass into breast milk and have undesirable effects.
Notify your doctor about any of the following conditions you may have before consuming Soma 350 mg:
- Blood disorders
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Personal or family history of substance abuse
Drug interactions can adversely affect the patient after they take Soma 350 mg. To prevent this, take note of the following interactions (this list is not exhaustive):
- Any other opioid pain or cough relievers (codeine etc), drugs for sleep or anxiety, other muscle relaxants, or antihistamines (such as cetirizine)
- CNS depressants combined with soma may result in addiction. Patients who take CNS depressants such as benzodiazepines, opioids, tricyclic antidepressants, etc should be cautious about using Soma 350 mg. Use of this medication along with meprobamate is also not recommended.
- CYP2C19 can metabolize carisoprodol in the liver to form meprobamate. Using CYP2C19 inhibitors, such as omeprazole or fluvoxamine, with Soma could result in an increased amount of carisoprodol and a reduced amount of meprobamate. Similarly, co-administration of CYP2C19 inducers, such as rifampin or St. John’s Wort, with SOMA could result in the opposite.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for the effects of Soma 350 mg to set in and how long does it last?
It takes about thirty minutes for the medication to work as it is a rapid-acting medicine. The effects can last from two to six hours.
Is Soma 350 mg habit-forming?
As it is a controlled substance, carisoprodol can indeed be addictive. It is therefore advised to not consume more than the prescribed amount.
At what temperature should Soma 350mg be stored?
The medication can be stored at a controlled room temperature of 20° – 25°C (68° – 77°F)
Can I consume Soma 350 mg with alcohol?
Patients should avoid consuming alcoholic beverages while taking this medication. Soma can interact with other agents that result in slow brain processes. This can make the consumer extremely dizzy or drowsy.