|Drug Class||Opiate (narcotic) analgesics|
|Working||Works by changing the manner of response the brain
and nervous system provide to pain
|Kicks In||Around an hour|
|Dosage||Strictly as advised by the doctor|
What is Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg?
Hydrocodone is an opioid painkiller generally prescribed to patients for the treatment of moderate or severe pain. It is prescribed by doctors to treat short-term pain after dental surgery or to deal with injuries. Generally, doctors prescribe opioids such as Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg to those suffering from chronic pain and who cannot opt for any other treatment or medication. However, it is true that due to the addictive nature of opioids, Hydrocodone can be habit-forming. It is important to monitor the use of Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg and to use it only when prescribed by a doctor. Once a person becomes dependent on the medicine, efforts to stop consuming it might result in withdrawal symptoms. Doctors may recommend the slow decrease in opioid dosage (rather than a sudden withdrawal) to ensure the patient does not experience these symptoms.
How does Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg work?
Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg is an opioid analgesic (schedule II controlled drug). The medication works by affecting the way the nervous system responds to pain. Hydrocodone can also relieve coughing by decreasing activity in the part of the brain that causes coughing. Opioids also work by affecting areas of the brain known as the limbic system. The limbic system controls emotions, and thus, Hydrocodone acts on this area to create feelings of relaxation and pleasure.
The drug connects to the proteins present in your brain and spinal cord which are known as opioid receptors. Opioids in turn interfere with the pain signals heading towards the brain. This results in a change in your perception of pain as well as your emotional reaction to the pain.
Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg comes in the form of a tablet or capsule that is taken through the mouth. The extended-release capsule is generally taken once every twelve hours while the tablet is taken once every twenty-four hours.The doctor will prescribe the medicine according to the necessity of the patient. Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg must be taken around the same time every day. The capsules and tablets must be swallowed one at a time with a lot of water. Be careful not to soak the tablet before putting them in your mouth.
The doctor may prescribe a low dose of Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg before increasing the dosage with time depending upon how much medication is needed to manage the pain. However, after consuming the medicine for a long period of time, the body may get used to the medication and become less effective. In this case, the doctor may increase the dosage or even prescribe a different medication to help with the treatment of pain.
Without consulting the doctor, do not increase or decrease your dosage. If a patient stops taking opioids such as Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg suddenly, they may experience symptoms of withdrawal.If the doctor decides to take you off the medication, they will gradually decrease your dosage rather than cutting you off abruptly.
Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg may cause certain side effects. However, if these effects get severe then notify your doctor immediately:
- Dryness in mouth
- Headache or back pain
- Tightening of muscles
- Frequent or painful urination
- Ringing in the ears
- Problem falling asleep or staying asleep
- Swelling in the foot, leg, or ankle
- Stomach pain
- Excessive shaking of a part of the body
Certain symptoms can get severe and might need urgent medical attention. If you experience any of the following symptoms, seek medical help immediately.
- Chest pain
- Hallucinations, fever, sweating, confusion, heart palpitation or, change in heartbeat
- Excessive muscle stiffness or twitching, loss of coordination, weakness, shivering, or dizziness
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, loss of appetite
- Inability to sustain an erection
- Irregular menstruation
- Swelling in your eyes, face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Hives or itchiness
- Difficulty in swallowing or breathing
This list is not comprehensive, and a doctor must be consulted in case any condition gets severe.
- Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg can result in addiction. As it is an opioid, it is important to take the medicine exactly as directed. Do consume it more often, less often, or in any way other than what is prescribed by the doctor. Discuss the length and goals of your treatment with your healthcare provider.
- Make sure your doctor knows about any personal or family history of drug abuse, alcohol abuse, or mental disorders.
- Keep your medicine away from the reach of children and do not let anyone else take your medication. Store it in a safe place where no one can accidentally consume it. Keep track of the capsules or tablets.
- While Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg may cause slow breathing for the first 24 to 72 hours, tell your doctor if you have any pre-existing condition such as asthma. Also make sure your doctor is aware of your medical history, especially if you’ve had any previous lung disease or head injury. If you experience shortness of breath or long pauses between breaths, it is best to consult your doctor.
- Ensure that your doctor and pharmacist know what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, and nutritional supplements you are taking or plan to take. Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg may adversely react with other medications and cause complications.
- Swallow the tablets whole; do not chew or crush them under any circumstances.
- Alert the doctor if you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant.
- Keep track of your allergies and make sure that the doctor is aware of them.
- Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg may make the patient dizzy or drowsy. Make sure to not drive or operate machinery under such circumstances.
- Notify the doctor in case you have surgery scheduled.
Pre-existing conditions that the doctor should know about:
- Blockage or narrowing of stomach or intestines, or paralytic ileus
- Low blood pressure,
- Urine problems
- Gallbladder, pancreas, liver, or kidney disease
- Difficulty swallowing,
- Colon cancer or esophageal cancer
- Heart failure
- Heart rhythm problems such as long QT syndrome
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How should Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg be stored?
Store the medication in the container it came in at room temperature and away from excess heat or moisture. Keep the container away from children.
Can Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg interfere with laboratory testing?
Yes. Before having any laboratory test, notify your doctor and the laboratory personnel that you are taking hydrocodone.
Is Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg a prescription medicine?
Yes. Schedule appointments with your doctor regularly so that you do not run out of hydrocodone. If your doctor recommends the use of this medication, continue taking it.
What if I miss a dose of Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg?
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take more than the recommended dosage.
Can I consume Hydrocodone 10mg/325mg with alcohol?
No. Make sure to not consume alcohol or any medication that contains alcohol as the combination can be life-threatening.